Tuesday 12 April 2011

Halfway Point


The start of my second week of training couldn't be more different from the first.

Training in a two hour block is not the normal way this program works, but given my limited time, I'm basically doing double sessions. Not surprising it's hard.

I hit the wall in yesterday's session at about the 1 hour 20 minute mark, a good 20 minute improvement on last week and I had a protein bar on hand for just this purpose; a quick couple of bites, water and a short rest were enough to get me back to a good head-space and finish the session well.

I also picked up some coconut water the other day in a street product promotion and it was recommended for working out, "drink this after a workout and you won't even feel like you've worked out" - really? you have no idea of my schedule, buddy.

But it seemed to do the trick, along with the rest of the protein bar.
After a quick shower at home (I love that it feels like I live in this city) I was good to go out for the afternoon, and New York turned on a freakishly warm day of around 21C, much warmer than the same temperature at home.

I couldn't waste the most perfect day, my energy was great and I needed groceries, so I found a Trader Joe's on West 72nd street, with the intention of shopping, walking back through Central Park and coming back to cook before heading out for a quiet beer.

That is not what happened.

Groceries were purchased and I was walking through Central Park, all according to the plan when I saw the bicycle rickshaw guys who take tourists around the park, pointing out various "interesting facts", mostly involving which celebrities live where.

I haven't done many 'touristy' things and my legs were getting tired so I talked him down to half the price (I'm sure I didn't, it was likely inflated to begin with) and had a lovely ride around the lower half of the park, while sending texts to Kimi & Marcus to see if they wanted to catch up for a drink.

They were heading out to the Top Of The Rock, where I arranged to meet them just after 6pm for a 7pm admission. So there's me, riding around Central Park with my dinner ingredients in a bag, putting said ingredients through the airport-style security screening at the Rockefeller Centre.

Eventually hunger got the better of me and about 8pm I said goodbye to the lovely Young People (they are far more capable than I of going out drinking and clubbing every night in this town) and caught the subway home to make a late start on dinner.

"You look lost, can I help you" says a random guy at the subway station.
That would be Frank. He's a lawyer who works in the Rockefeller building and if I'd met him yesterday, would have saved myself a $22 evelator ride.

Long story short, he is the first New Yorker who has asked unsolicited if I needed help... and yes I am aware of the implications of that word.

I asked for his card, got it, emailed him and we're meeting for a drink tonight or tomorrow uptown somewhere.

I know what you're thinking and it will be fine.
My only intention is to have a drink with a friendly person and if he has other ideas well good luck to him.

He assures me he's not a serial killer and frankly I believe him. (you see what I did there? ;)

Out for beers last night I also met a lovely lady named Cid who is singing on Avenue C tonight around 11pm so if I'm remotely awake, and chances are not good, I may pop over to see her as well.

Right-o, Frick Collection awaits!

UPDATE:
I did meet Random Subway Guy for a drink at the Bull & Bear on Wednesday night.
Needless to say he was as good as his word on not being a serial killer and for all his self-depricating talk, really was nice guy. Thanks Frank!

Also saw a great play on Broadway called Jerusalem.
Another one ticked off the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment