Thursday 14 April 2011

New York Food

Warning: this post may clog your arteries and leave you drooling.

For the most part, I have been eating really well while training, not wanting to waste my time, money & energy putting nutritionally defecient food in my body.

However, this is New York and there is an enormous range of interesting and delicious food here that I have never had before and just can't get at home, so this week I have been sampling some of the local cuisine.

Starting with my hot dog on Coney Island, an actual meat sausage wrapped in a white bread bun with ketchup & mustard, which was delicious.

I quickly moved on to the sweets, finding Eileen's Special Cheesecake at the end of my street, a wonderful little bakery that ships cheesecakes all over the country. Yes that is Eileen on the website and her mini Dulce de Leche is absolutely the best I've ever had.

I also needed to sample a burger and fries and this was ticked off the list at The Red Flame, a lovely midtown diner.

My friend Rob took me out to dinner at Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse, where I had a giant rib of veal, which lasted for days; if that was the veal, I'd hate to see the full sized cow.

Also, I am now in love with chopped liver.

I did sample some amazing pastrami, but in deference to my arteries and digestive tract, went with the corned beef sandwich, at Katz's Delicatessen, just down the street from where I'm staying, and made famous by When Harry Met Sally.

Yes I sat at That Table.

No I did not re-enact That Scene.

Next on the list is a sinful-looking, heart-attack-inducing, sugar-coated, custard-filled donut-looking confection at Dean & Deluca, which will be my treat when I finish training this Saturday.

Mostly though, I've been very health-conscious, making regular trips to the wonderful Wholefoods Market and discovering the better value fresh fruit, vegetables, meat & seafood of Chinatown and Little Italy, as I make my way to the Studio each day.

I've tried never to take the same route twice and have found some delightful little shops, cafes and food stores; the trick is finding my way back to them. My $1 take-away black coffee from the Landmark Coffee Shop has to be the best value in town.

So much food, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment