Monday 18 April 2011

The Travelling Pants Are in LA


I landed in Los Angeles just over an hour ago and am heading back to LAX airport soon for an hour long flight to Monterey, to stay with my cousin Alan and his family in Carmel.

Alan is my Dad's sister's eldest son and has been living in America for years. I have spoken to him on the phone the last time we were in Belfast, but never met him, and I can't wait to see his beautiful twin babies, Hamish & Heidi.

Thank you Hannah Yates for the gorgeous beach-side accommodation with Josh in Marina Del Ray, where I'll be staying tomorrow night when I return from Carmel.

I barely have an hour to recharge my phone, update the blog and get a taxi back to the airport, picking up a highly recommended In & Out Burger on the way.*

The flight from New York was suitably random and lovely, in keeping with the rest of this trip.

Apparently everyone's coming to LA to spend Passover with their families, as Alexandra, the gorgeous blond real estate agent/actor/model manager/fitness trainer, travelling with two adorable puppies in a bag, told me.

Terri, I'm sending her your way, she was very keen to hear about your work and lives in the West Village.

 I sat next to an Israeli geophysicist, and helped her with the acknowledgements for her Thesis on earthquakes.

As you do.

She was very grateful for the help, having already flown 15 hours from Israel before the 6 hour flight to LA, and was struggling with her english phrasing,

"My english is not so good" she says.

"Well it's better than my Hebrew!"
"I don't even know what modified velocity models are, but yes, that sentence makes sense in English"
and
"'guidness' is not a word. I think you mean 'guidance'"

That kind of thing.

Off I go again!
xxx

*UPDATE: no time for In & Out Burger, almost missed my flight to Carmel, as the airline changed it and somehow didn't email me. Thanks for that. My lovely host Josh will collect me from the airport tomorrow for the promise of In & Out Burgers. Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment