Sunday 3 April 2011

Lost In Space


What started as a short walk to the studio, to see where I'll be training for the next two weeks, turned into an epic walk, where I got lost not once, not twice, but thrice!
Who does that?

To be fair, I did keep getting distracted by interesting streets and a grid system* is all very well if you think you're heading the way you're supposed to be, about to arrive somewhere near home, not walking in the completely opposite direction.

I headed south down Broadway to find the studio, which I did and then continued down the street, cutting through a park which led to the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a nice walk and with lots of interesting buildings to see, I found myself on Lafayette street in Soho, where I stopped for a nice coffee and read my book.

BTW, I think I'm in love with Bob Ellis... see, there's me getting distracted again.

So far, so good and I even accidentally found the thrift shop I was keen to visit, Housing Works, an AIDS charity that helps homeless New Yorkers living with HIV & AIDS, and I was advised by a fellow op-shopper that the Soho shop was apparently the best of the lot.

Um, yes I was going to stop shopping wasn't I.
About that... you'll be pleased to know that I have NOW stopped shopping.

I also made good on my threat promise to Rik to bring home another hat; he was hoping I'd lose the one I brought with me. He doesn't get hats.

So feeling quite proud of myself for ticking what I considered a major shopping destination, off my list and thinking I knew exactly where I was, I continued on my way up Lafayette street.

All the way up Lafayette street and that's where things got a little sketchy.

Now I was heading north without realising and I somehow got from the East Village to the Flatiron District & Gramercy Park, possibly walking the wrong way up 6th avenue (who can say), and may have walked in circles a couple of times, took a couple of wrong turns at Astor place but I definitely had to ask for help three times.

I now realise with the benefit of a map, that the first people I asked gave me the wrong directions.

Eventually I made it back down 3rd avenue to the top of Bowery, kept calm and carried on and finally made it home, coming from the opposite direction I had started out this morning.

I did find a cinema I may go to this week and walked through some lovely neighbourhoods but my feet & legs are starting to hurt and the whole reason I came on this trip hasn't even started yet!

Wish me luck for tomorrow.

xxx

*found out later that Dowtown is not a grid system. No wonder I got lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment